But one of the best parts of WrestleMania season, at least in my opinion, is trying to predict what that WrestleMania card will look like. What wrestlers are going to have main event level matches, and what wrestlers are going to get snubbed and end up in a multi-man tag match or a battle royal? And what wrestlers are even going to be available to be on the card? Does Shawn Michaels make his rumored appearance this year? Does Finn Balor get healthy in time for WrestleMania, or even the Royal Rumble? Does anyone from NXT get called up before WrestleMania season to make the card?
We don't have the answers to these questions yet, and probably won't for some time, but they impact everything else on the card. That's what makes this exercise fun. I think there is a possibility we start getting some answers, or at least clues to these answers, on RAW this week. It sounds like The Undertaker and Shawn Michaels are both going to be in attendance, which means we may get some clues to their WrestleMania roles this year. And if not this week, we should get some ideas in the three weeks heading into the Royal Rumble.
So I thought I need to finalize my initial WrestleMania card predcitions before we start getting more information from WWE. These are sure to be off, but oh well. That's what makes it so enjoyable.
AJ Styles vs. John Cena vs. The Undertaker (WWE World Heavyweight Championship)
Charlotte vs. Bayley (RAW Women's Championship)
Seth Rollins vs. HHH
Brock Lesnar vs. Finn Balor
Dean Ambrose vs. The Miz vs. Dolph Ziggler vs. Baron Corbin (Intercontinental Championship)
Roman Reigns vs. Braun Stromann (United States Championship)
Alexa Bliss vs. Nikki Bella (RAW Women's Championship)
Big Show vs. Shaq
Sasha Banks vs. Trish Stratus
Sheamus and Cesaro vs. The Club vs. The New Day vs. Cass and Enzo (RAW Tag Team Championship)
American Alpha vs. The Usos (SmackDown Tag Team Championship)
Andre The Giant Memorial Battle Royal
- I don't have a spot for Jericho or any of the Wyatt Family on the card. That will have to change. I'd have Jericho on Owen's side against Goldberg, but that seems like too small of a role for Y2J. And you could have Randy Orton vs. Luke Harper or Bray Wyatt, but I like those guys together more than I like them apart so I want them together for WrestleMania. Maybe they get into the tag team title match but I think they are past that by the time we get to April.
- I went away from Goldberg vs. Lesnar. I just think that's too predictable and people wouldn't be that excited for that match by April. I think that's the obvious choice but I'm not sure that's the way WWE is going. Same line of thought for Kevin Owens vs. Chris Jericho at WrestleMania.
- So I gave Kevin Owens the Goldberg match. Goldberg said in his post-Survivor Series promo that Stephanie asked him if he had one more championship run in him. This fulfills that storyline. That left Brock Lesnar without a match so I put him with Finn Balor (if he's back in time). Finn was getting a monster push before his injury, this continues that.
- On SmackDown's side, I couldn't get away from the Big Three of Styles, Cena, Undertaker. If you put two of those together, then who does the last one wrestle? My only options I thought I had were to have Undertaker face someone on RAW but we are already RAW heavy on matches or have Styles face HBK. I just don't see an HBK return though but if he does, you can slide Styles out of that Triple Threat into the HBK match.
- I wanted something better for New Day but just couldn't find it. I think they are destined for another big multi-tag match which seems a waste of their talent. I just can't find a way around it though. I think the move is to get them to the main event scene, with Big E probably the main benefitiary, but that seems like it would have after Mania.
- I wasn't sure what you have Sasha Banks do at WrestleMania. I don't think she faces Charlotte again one-on-one and I don't think you do another Triple Threat for the Women's Championship after you did that last year, so you need another spot for Sasha. I think she gets the "Asuka at NXT Takeover Toronto" treatment and they bring in a retired star for her. Why not make it Trish Stratus then? That's a huge spot for Sasha. If you can't get Trish, then maybe Lita. Or someone else, I don't know. But if it's Trish, that also starts your Sasha heel turn which she badly needs. If you can't find a retired star, bring up Asuka.
- Then you can fill in the Battle Royal with whoever is left without a spot on the card and possibly fill a couple other matches depending on how much time you need to fill on the preshow. I'm sure many of the matches listed above would be on the preshow if they'd occur as well. SmackDown would need another women's match slotted on the card somewhere. But there are my guesses heading into tonight. Should be fun.