What an ugly game against Iowa last night. And not ugly in a "defensively minded, grind it out battle" like Wisconsin has been known for in the past. This was just ugly. No flow, sloppy play, and many turnovers. Just disheartening to watch this close to tournament time. It's March 3rd and Wisconsin doesn't have one thing it can hang it's hat on and depend on. That's tough to swallow.
Just going to keep this short so I don't type things I'll regret later.
- Gotta make Free Throws.
- A Senior (Hayes) inbounding the ball against a press to another Senior (Koenig) should not be that difficult.
- That was the first time in the Gard Era (39-1) that Wisconsin lost a game when tied or leading at the 5:00 let in the game mark. So let's not make this into a crisis, it happens.
- Wisconsin needs something from it's role players. Trice/Hill/Iverson/Pritzl/Vito/Illikainen......just not getting enough from those guys consistently.
- A win Sunday at home against Minnesota still puts the Badgers at the #2 seed in the B1G Tournament. Huge game.
Some credit to Fran McCaffery though. I'm nothing if not a fair and humble sports journalist. I continue to say that his temper this season is an underrated high spot for the Hawkeyes and a reason they are succeeding. Him keeping his composure during that Showalter/Jok foul and flagrant foul play that the officials butchered may have been the unsung moment of the game. (For the record, I don't mind the call but figuring out the call BETWEEN Jok's free throws was ridiculous).
Old Fran would have thrown a Frantrum at half court if his best player picked up a Flagrant Foul while he was shooting free throws in a tight game late in the second half of a game Iowa needed to win. New Fran though was pretty mellow and kept his composure, and his team followed suit.
A staple of the Fran McCaffery program in my eyes has been his teams' inability to close games and play well down the stretch. Even at their highest point, Iowa teams would routinely fold late in games and give up leads, eventually leading to losses. It was almost like the team played one way for 35 minutes and a completely different way from the final 5. I think Fran's demeanor and temper had a lot to do with that. Maybe it's just a different group of players but Iowa seems more under control and calm under New Fran.
Apparently the Flyover Sports podcast has changed the day that it releases its weekly episode. It will now drop on Wednesdays instead of Saturdays so this week's episode is already out! Heck of an episode to as the guys got the voice of the UNI Panthers as their special guest this week. Gary Rima!
It did mean though that there wasn't enough time for Sixer questions this week. Luckily, I hadn't answered last week's questions yet. So here they are, and if you haven't listened to this week's episode with Rima go check that out as well. He comes off as a really likeable guy. Still no Jake Mohling though.
1. Three people you’d like to see in the NBA Celebrity All-Star game.
- Taylor Swift, The Big Show, President Obama.
- Admit it, you'd want to see if Taylor Swift could do anything on the court. She's a huge star, would be neat to see if she is athletic in any way. The Big Show just for his size and to see him dwarf 5'4" celebrities on the floor. And President Obama always loved playing basketball, I'd like to see him in a competitive environment.
2. What would it take to make you watch the entire Daytona 500?
- It would have to be multiple bets placed for me out in Vegas. If you could say I could watch it on the couch and possibly take a nap in the middle of it then I think I could do it. Watch the first couple laps, take a nap in the middle of it, and watch the ending sounds doable. Staying up for all 250 laps though would need some monetary incentives for me.
3. Would you give up 2 wins a year to ensure your favorite college football team is clean?
- Not a chance. How many schools have actually been caught in a significant dirty scandal? Not many. Take your chances in not getting caught. Two wins is a lot every year and would always but a ceiling on your season.
4. What do you think President Trump shoots on a regular round of golf?
- I'd say 85. Seems like he golfs quite a bit and he's golfed with a lot of famous people and professional golfers. That takes some confidence and some golf skill. I'm sure he's got a lot of rounds under his belt where he has to be a competent golfer.
5. If you won the Powerball, what sporting event would you blow some of your winnings on?
- If it's a one game event, then ringside at WrestleMania. If it can be anything, I'd like to take a year off and travel with a professional baseball team for all 162 games. I think that would great just following a team around for an entire season. Watching every game, being at different ballparks all the time, sleeping in different hotels and seeing different cities.
6. What sport would you like to see coaches wear the team uniforms in?
- I'm against coaches in uniforms, even in baseball. They aren't competing, let them wear whatever they want. But if I had to choose one I think it would probably be golf. I know the caddie isn't exactly a coach but I'd like to see the golfer and their caddie in matching outfits. Just out twinning on the golf course, why not.