Went to the Des Moines Civic Center last night to see Jersey Boys. We had seen the same show in New York City about 7-8 years ago so this was the first show we've seen at the Civic Center that we had already seen previously. The show itself is really good, by far my favorite show I've seen. It's basically the LeBron James of musicals or broadway shows. Good storyline, songs you've heard of, and a little humor here and there.
If you get a chance to go see it, I highly recommend it. I think it runs for 5 more days in Des Moines. I know that's right in March Madness time so if you can't go this week, make it a priority to schedule it next time it comes to your area. You won't regret it.
Today's basically you're last day to really scrub over your bracket and see if there are any changes you need to make or finally solidify what you're already thinking. If it helps, I'm giving you most of my bracket here. In each region I'll give you my Sweet 16 teams and who I have playing and winning in the Elite 8. I'll also throw in my first round upset picks and a team in each region that's a 5 seed or higher that I think has the best chance to make it to the Elite 8. That doesn't necessarily mean I have them in my bracket, but if you are looking for a sleeper pick and want to get a little crazy that would be the team that would get my stamp of approval.
16: Villanova, Virginia, Baylor, Duke
E8: Villanova over Duke
1st Round Upset(s): Marquette
5 seed or higher: (8) Wisconsin
16: Gonzaga, Notre Dame, Xavier, Arizona
E8: Arizona over Gonzaga
1st Round Upset(s): Vanderbilt, Xavier
5 seed or higher: (11) Xavier
16: Kansas, Iowa State, Oregon, Louisville
E8: Kansas over Oregon
1st Round Upset(s): Vermont, Oklahoma State
5 seed or higher: Anyone in the bottom half of the region. If I had to pick, (10) Oklahoma State
16: North Carolina, Butler, Cincinnati, Kentucky
E8: North Carolina over Kentucky
1st Round Upset(s): Seton Hall, Middle Tennessee, Wichita State
5 seed or higher: (6) Cincinnati
Yesterday we broke down the left hand side of the "Sports Personalities Bracket" by the Flyover Sports Podcast so it's only fitting that today we take a look at the right hand side of the draw. Here's my updated bracket:
For the other matchups:
- (1) Vin Scully over (8) Sam Ponder: If Sam Ponder is the 8 seed in either bottom region I think she wins MULTIPLE rounds. Tough draw going against a legend like Vin though, but I do think upset potential is there.
- (4) Joe Buck over (5) Chris Collinsworth: Two guys that get WAY too much internet hate. I enjoy Collinsworth more but I'm advancing Buck just on merit and how great he is at all the things he does.
- (6) Rece Davis over (3) Gus Johnson: I'm going to save the "Gus Johnson is overrated" talk (even though he is) and just state how bad of a career move it was for Gus to leave CBS. Never reached his ceiling.....or his roof.
- (2) Scott Van Pelt over (7) Pam Oliver: This blog only has 51 Twitter followers and I think even I would have defeated Pam Oliver in the first round.
- Rece vs. Van Pelt in the next round will be a huge matchup because I think the winner there easily wins the next round so a Final Four spot is basically on the line. I went Van Pelt but wouldn't be shocked to see it go the other way.
On the bottom half: This is a weak region. Like really weak. If we are just ranking the seeds between each region, this bottom right bracket would have the worst 1 seed of all four regions, as well as the worst 2, 4, 6, and 8. Which is probably OK though ultimately because I think I'd have Bob Costas running through almost any region no matter who was in his path. So I guess it's better for him to go through lesser talent to get to the Final Four than to have him knock off some heavy hitters early.
For the other matchups:
- (1) Keith Jackson over (8) Terry Bradshaw: Horrible 1 seed vs a horrible 8 seed. I guess the 1 seed wins something like that.
- (5) Bill Raftery over (4) Chris Berman: Raferty is going to benefit in this tournament just by the calendar. March is Raftery's time, he'll be in people's minds.
- (3) Bob Costas over (6) Mike Patrick: I didn't even know who Mike Patrick was so I can't have him winning.
- (7) Jerry Lawler over (2) Lee Corso: WWE got an announcer into this field, I'm not having him lose in the opening round
- Like I said earlier, the rest of the region is Costas' to lose. Not much competition for him and he was one of my favorites heading into this tournament anyway. He should waltz into the Final Four.