Summer officially kicked off last night with the season premiere of Big Brother. If you missed my initial Way Too Early Power Rankings feel free to go back and read those. But here are some quick hitter thoughts from the first episode last night.
- FRANK IS BACK!!!!!! I love Frank. Great start to the season already.
- Bronte got the 1 spot in my initial Power Rankings. Not a great early impression from her personality-wise but she is smart and was the last female to survive the Rocket competition. And in her initial "get to know you" section it seemed like she was here to compete and play the game. She's going to make a run, I'm not backing off that pick.
- I think I'd like James coming back into the game in a couple of years but this seems too quick. James is great in short bursts but by the end of his season I was tired of him. I'm not sure I'm going to enjoy another full season of him this soon.
- Da'Vonne is a mess. She lost in two weeks last season mostly because she was so emotional. Now on this season she's already crying after one day, when she was never really in jeopardy yet? Ugh.
- And whatever happens to Mama Dae, she deserves. She basically had the #1 overall draft pick (Frank had to choose a female) and she chose Paul as her first pick. PAUL?!?!?! What a terrible decision.
- And Da'Vonne's team, Team Sister, may be the most unlikable collection of people in Big Brother history. Even the season that was filled with 60% racists may have been more likeable than these four. I hope they grow on me but the initial first impression for this group was terrible.
- Frank's team on the other hand, Category Four, is loaded. How Cody's brother Paulie fell all the way to the end of the second round of that mini draft is ridiculous. That was a heck of steal by Frank. I think Michelle with the first pick was solid by him as well. I woulda went Bronte with the last pick over Bridgette, but I'm biased towards Bronte since I'm a math teacher myself. But that team is the favorite as long as that twist stays in the game.
- People I like after one episode: Michelle, Bronte, Paulie, Natalie, Corey, Nicole, Frank
- People I need to see more of: Tiffany, Bridgette, Glenn
- People I dislike after one episode: Victor, Paul, Zakiyah, Jozea, James, Da"Vonne,
I still haven't read anything yet on what was the cause to Roman's wellness violation or when the WWE actually learned about the violation. The last I heard was the news following the initial report that the WWE knew about it before the Money in the Bank PPV. I still don't know if I believe that part but I don't want to get too far into the actual suspension until more details come out. But what I will do is predict where the WWE goes from this point forward.
Roman Reigns is currently in the triple threat match at Battleground against his Shield counterparts Seth Rollins and champion Dean Ambrose. I think that he gets pulled out of that match this Monday at RAW. The WWE made his suspension public on their website and Twitter account, so even in kayfabe terms the suspension is public. I can't see Roman missing a month and getting right back into a HUGE main event with no TV time (I believe the suspension ends 2-3 days before Battleground). So someone announces that Reigns is out of the Battleground main event and it is no a singles match between Rollins and Ambrose.
At Battleground, Seth Rollins defeats Dean Ambrose for the WWE Heavyweight Championship. Seth will win somewhat clean but will have some sneaky or cheating way to do it. Rollins comes out the next night on RAW to gloat about his victory and being champion again, and out comes Ambrose to break up the party and demand his rematch or complain about the way Seth won last night. Then out comes Reigns to claim if he would have still been in the match last night that he would have won.
This leads to the triple threat match happening at SummerSlam. Now you have this match at the biggest PPV outside of WrestleMania and Reigns is actually on TV to build towards it. You can't waste this match now at Battleground if Reigns can't even be a part of it, the match is too big and one of the few "dream matches" WWE has in its bag. And you can promote this as the first and only Shield reunion match as I'd draft Reigns and Ambrose to one brand and Rollins to the other. I assume the brand split won't actually take place until the RAW after SummerSlam, so they can still build to this match together but it's known that after SummerSlam they go their separate ways.
At SummerSlam, towards the end of the match Roman spears Ambrose but Rollins then attacks Reigns and throws him out of the ring, pins Ambrose, and retains his championship. Post-match, Ambrose gets upset and starts yelling at Reigns. Roman snaps and spears Ambrose again and starts to pummel him. He continues until Ambrose is motionless and the crowd is booing him mercilessly. Coming out of his suspension, the crowd will be even less behind Reigns than they already were so this just solidifies his heel status. And it makes Ambrose the sympathetic babyface leaving SummerSlam. These two can be drafted to the same brand and there is your big feud on that brand after SummerSlam. Rollins can get drafted to the opposite brand as their champion and he leaves SummerSlam with bragging rights of being the best Shield member and champion.
I pride myself on giving out locks and sound gambling advice to all you readers. With that though, you got to face the music sometimes when you give out some duds. Now technically, I did intro into my predictions by listing the top four golfers and their odds, and said that if you want to place money on the favorites those were your best choices. Dustin Johnson was in that group of four and ended up winning the tournament. So I'm not going to say it was a complete failure, but the three I said I'd place my $100 on were:
- $40 on Henrik Stenson (30/1)
- $30 on Brandt Snedeker (40/1)
- $30 on Patrick Reed (30/1)
Stenson: Started -1 the first day, exploded to like +10 on the 2nd day and withdrew from the tournament.
Snedeker: +11 and missed the cut
Reed: +8 and missed the cut
So out of all three guys I gave you, no one made the weekend. That's on me guys. I'll step it up and give some double-locks or something next time. Be on the look-out for the Bollmeyer Lock of the Summer to make up for this.