ABC made a very public spoiler announcement this week which was really weird timing. So since it was a public announcement I'm going to talk about it in the rankings below. If you somehow missed the announcement and want to continue missing the announcement I'd skip the rest of the Bachelor talk on this blog for the rest of the show. I gotta address it and use that information in the Power Rankings for the duration of the show.
And no breakdown of last week's episode. I watched it the following day on Valentine's Day with my wife so could scribble notes down while watching like I normally do. So straight to the Bachelor Women Power Rankings.
BACHELOR WOMEN POWER RANKINGS
- Still the front runner. This is her show to win right now. Which is terrible because she is way too good for Nick.
- What made ABC's announcement of the new Bachelorette so disappointing to me, regardless of the weird timing of the reveal, was that I was really starting to gain some hope that Raven would become the new Bachelorette next season. There's not much about Raven that isn't entertaining. A Raven Bachelorette season would have been so much better than a Rachel Bachelorette season. I get the racial aspect of the selection and how that makes sense for ABC but I need some more Raven in my life. Somebody get her a TV show or on a TV show as soon as possible.
- There is a nagging hunch in the back of my mind that Corinne might actually win this thing. I keep saying that Nick and Corinne are perfect for each other but it never crossed my mind through the first half of the season that the villain would actually win the final rose. But why can't she? The more I think about it the more it makes sense...and if I didn't like Raven so much I think I'd have Corinne at 2.
- I think one thing that's always easy to forget during these shows is sometimes the Bachelor/Bachelorette probably knows by this time that they won't end up marrying any of the remaining people. I know the point of the show is to end up engaged and in theory married down the line but most times that doesn't end up happening. So let's say at this point right now, Nick knows he doesn't want to get married to any of these women. Maybe he came into the show not really wanting to get married but just wanted the publicity and opportunities that come with a show like The Bachelor. But if Nick doesn't see marriage in the future, isn't Corinne probably his choice to give the final rose to? To the girl that just really wants to have sex with him and be a celebrity herself. Wouldn't that be the easiest post-engagement break-up for him? Imagine he gets engaged to Raven or Vanessa but has no intentions of marriage....that's a tough conversation to have with them after the show. Corinne on the other hand? Can't they just fool around for a couple months after the show and say "Hey, let's just go our separate ways"? Gotta keep that option in mind.
- I'm assuming since she was announced as the Bachelorette for next season that she probably isn't winning this season.
Great win for the Badgers yesterday to keep their hopes for a conference championship alive. Being down by six and dominating most of the second half is quite the boost heading into the last four games of the regular season. Also great to see Nigel Hayes have a spectacular performance. If the Badgers are going to make any type of run in the postseason tournaments without a healthy Bronson Koenig they need spectacular Nigel Hayes not solid Nigel Hayes.
And Bronson looks in tough shape. He showed just enough glimpses of the healthy Bronson yesterday to get your hopes up. But then he'd throw up a couple airballs to remind you that his calf is still really bothering him and not allowing him to get enough lift on his jumper. Will be interesting to see how Gard handles him down the stretch. With a shot at the conference championship on the line I think you have to play him. But any loss from here on out and I think you rest him until the conference tournament.
Big road test for the Cyclones tonight. Remember at the start of the month when people were speculating about Bubble talk and whether or not Iowa State was going to make the NCAA Tournament? I tried to calm everyone down by telling you they were going to easily make the Tournament but I'm not sure that calmed people's fears. Now the Cyclones are tied for 2nd in the Big 12. It's a long season folks, you gotta go with the ebbs and flows and not be a prisoner of the moment.
Traveling to Texas Tech on short rest should be a real test for the Cyclones though. Texas Tech has been playing some quality ball as of late, especially at home. The Red Raiders have already beaten West Virginia, Kansas State, and Baylor at home this season. They also took Kansas to the limit at home last week losing 79-80. So with the Cyclones playing on Saturday and having to travel to Lubbock on short rest, Iowa State will have to be locked in from the tip in order to stay in the second place tie with Baylor and West Virginia.
I don't even know how to pick this game based on my zig-zag theory for the Cyclones. On one hand, the Cyclones are underdogs in this game and should lose. But on the other hand, if you are a 2nd place team in the conference and want to stay there then this is a type of game you should win. I'm going to say the Red Raiders pull this one out but it's a stay away game from me if I'm in Vegas. Should be an exciting matchup.