I told y'all that Pacers/Cavs series was going to be a good one. It's going 7 games, mark that down right now. Yesterday would have been a great one to get though. A good look at the buzzer is about as good as you can ask for on the road. I really can't believe an NBA team's strategy on the last play of a game was to really just a run a 2nd defender out to the ball-handler. That seems like such a terrible idea but it worked out I guess.
Playoff Paul George and Pacers Lance Stephenson are a great combination. I said before the series if Indiana was playing anyone other than Cleveland in Round One the Pacers would advance. Still think they push Cleveland to seven games, but winning Game Seven in The Land will be a tough ask.
The NBA Playoffs started yesterday which means of course I had to get into some Twitter arguments about LeBron vs. Jordan. It's just part of the deal I guess. So thought it would be a good time to reshare a blog I wrote in June about the LeBron vs. MJ thing. Almost everything I wrote there still holds up here.
Another thing I'd add to that blog is I don't get the fury people have when you say you are on the LeBron side of the argument. People hear you'd go LeBron over Jordan and it's like you just insulted their family or castrated their childhood dog or something. It's crazy.
I don't care how much you hate on LeBron James. Is it really that unbelievable to say he's possibly the greatest basketball player ever? We can't even have a debate on whether he's in the conversation or not? The guy is a genetic freak, been to SIX CONSECUTIVE NBA FINALS in a competitive basketball era, dominates his generation for a remarkably long period of time, and can't even get into a rational conversation about being the best ever before people lose their minds. I just don't get it.
Some other quick hitters about yesterday's game or a look at some of today's matchups.
- A final possession game to start the day and a buzzer beater to end the day. Not a bad start to the playoffs.
- Cleveland needs to at least pretend to give an effort on defense if they are going to get to LeBron's seventh straight Finals. And no way they compete with the West Champion with that level of defense.
- The Spurs are the Patriots of the NBA. Even when you think it's a down year, they are a tough out. Their operation is just a machine.
- I was never confident in my Jazz over Clippers prediction. Even after posting it, I wanted to change back to the Clippers. Got a nice bounce on that Iso Joe play at the end of the game to get me a 1-0 lead though.
- Gobert going down though is a huge loss. Advantage Clippers if he's out for the series, even being down 0-1.
- Disappointing game for the Raptors to drop. Giving up home-court advantage in Game One makes that a long series for them.
- Bulls over Celtics in 6. Mark it down right now.
- Headline on ESPN.com today was "Westbrook to see increased role in playoffs". Didn't know that was even possible to extend Westbrook's role but I'm looking forward to it.