Very surprising winner to the Royal Rumble last night. Apparently not to the betting markets though as he was a huge favorite to win going into Sunday I guess. I purposely tried to stay away from that online since they are generally accurate and I wanted to be surprised. And I was. I thought once Goldberg was eliminated that Undertaker was winning for sure. Then he was eliminated and I thought it was Jericho. Then he was eliminated and I thought "Oh god, not Reigns", and then Orton pulled the upset.
I said in my preview that "star-power" goes a long ways in WWE and I'm assuming that's why Orton got the win here. Need to build him back up after his feud with Lesnar at SummerSlam had the weird ending, and he's never really gotten all his momentum back from that. So maybe this was WWE's "thank-you" to Randy for doing that and trying to re-establish him. I'm not sure. But I do like it and it wasn't predictable. The Royal Rumble match needs more of that most years.
Not sure where they go from here to WrestleMania with Orton though....which is a good thing. I can't see Orton vs. Cena happening again but you never know. So maybe Bray Wyatt gets the championship at The Elimination Chamber in two week and faces Orton. But then why would Cena get the belt to tie Ric Flair's record only to lose it 2 weeks later? I can't see that happening either. Excited to see how everything plays out.
Quick hitters on the Royal Rumble last night.
- I know it's not for everyone but I love the longer shows for the Big Four PPVs. An almost 4 hour PPV with a 2 hour preshow. Just feels like an all-day event, like the Super Bowl or something. I love it.
- That AJ Styles vs. John Cena match was outstanding. I think I liked their first match at SummerSlam just because it was the first but with this one being for the championship and still being at a Big Four PPV may make it just as good. Phenomenal match.
- Disappointed with the Rumble match itself. I thought the middle dragged way too much. The Rumble was mostly built on Goldberg, Lesnar, Undertaker, maybe Strowman, and potential big surprises. Other than Strowman, the other three all were still not in the match as of entrant 25. Made the middle of the match seem like you were just biding time until some of those guys came out.
- Which for me, officially puts me over these part-time guys coming in and dominating. Everyone else just had to do nothing for almost a half hour, so these guys could come in and throw everyone out. Dumb. And Goldberg, Lesnar, or Undertaker all apparently had a 5-10 minute time limit. If they can't go, don't give them the top spots. Just like the go-home show on Monday when they just stared at each other, if you aren't going to get physical because we're afraid you might get hurt then don't be in the main event.
- Jericho on the other hand......a guy that can still go. I know he was outside for a lot of the Rumble but he was still there for an hour. And that's after being in the Owens/Reigns match for over half and hour and hanging from a shark cage. Respect.
- I loved Tye Dillinger in the 10 spot. Wasn't sure if WWE was going to pull the trigger on it.
- I don't know where anything is going heading into WrestleMania.....and I love it. Most years you kinda know and have to wait and see how a couple storylines play out. This year I think almost everything is in the air. Not sure who Orton challenges, not sure who Owens wrestles or if he'll still be champ, not sure where Undertaker or Cena or Styles or Reigns or Strowman go from here. As disappointed as I was with the Rumble, I'm pumped to see where the Road to WrestleMania leads us.
We had some issues with our ABC.com app on our Roku so took me quite awhile to watch this week's episode. So no episode breakdown but we'll update the Bachelor Women Power Rankings.
Bachelor Women Power Rankings
Too much Corinne this week. You could tell she knows the producers are giving her a lot of airtime and she ran with it in this episode. She was a little too over the top for my liking; she was trying to hard to be the villain. She came off better when she was just being naturally bitchy.
Raven moves into the Top 5 this week. I'm always hesitant to go "prisoner of the moment" in these rankings and move someone up just because they had a 1-on-1 date but I do think getting a 1-on-1 in Nick's hometown does mean something. And Raven is very likeable, I just didn't know if Nick saw anything in her. Apparently he does.
I moved Danielle M out of the rankings. Just not seeing anything there from her, probably because she isn't on TV much. She's gotta get some more airtime before she's back in the rankings.
Finally, I flip-flopped Vanessa and Rachel to give Vanessa the top spot. She seems like she's in the pole-position right now. Haven't seen much from Rachel and Vanessa got really comfy with Nick on that couch during their alone time. Just seemed like he's more comfortable with Vanessa than anyone else right now. She's the leader.