And also, sometimes you go out with your buddies and have some drinks and then realize the Big Ten tournament starts tomorrow and you haven't even started the blog you were going to write about it. Sometimes those things just happen. So we aren't going to go as deep as we went with the Big 12 bracket. Just the bracket and some quick hitters.
- CHAMPION: Michigan State Spartans. I hate to make this pick because it sees so unoriginal and boring, yet trendy at the same time. Everyone is going to pick Michigan State to win this tournament and I wanted to go a different way but I just don't see who its going to be. The Big 10 is a little down this year in terms of dominant teams. I think 1-7 they are solid but the top is deprived of really dominant teams. I just don't see a team I'd feel confident predicting to defeat them. Someone could do it, I'm just not going to go out on that limb to predict the team that will do it.
- SURPRISE TEAM: Purdue Boilermakers. They are going to be a mismatch for teams not only in the Big 10 tournament but in the NCAA Tournament as well. Definitely a team to keep an eye on when you're filling out your bracket. I have them making the finals in this tournament and I feel pretty confident with it. I like them taking down the Hawkeyes in the Quarters with the extra day rest. I haven't been sold on Indiana all year. They won the Big 10 because of their schedule. Seriously Big 10, figure out this unbalanced schedule thing. That gets the Boilermakers into the finals. And they are playing really well right now. That middle 20 minute stretch of basketball they played in their season finale against Wisconsin was some of the best basketball I've seen a team play this year. Get ready to Boiler Up this weekend folks.
- BEST THURSDAY GAME: Penn State vs. Ohio State. Two teams that I think are evenly matched.....that both will get killed in the next round anyways. So may as well throw all your marbles into the Thursday game and see how it goes.
- BEST FRIDAY GAME: Iowa vs. Purdue. I sang the praise of Purdue earlier so I won't do that again here. But if January Iowa shows up instead of February Iowa, then this game could be a barn burner. Especially since I think the winner takes down Indiana in the Semis and moves onto the Finals.
- TEAM TO WATCH: Obviously, the WISCONSIN BADGERS. I'm not sure anyone this side of John Wooden has had a better stretch of coaching than Greg Gard has the past month and a half . The sky really does seem to be the limit for this guy. I'm not sure Wisconsin has the horses or consistency to pull off four games in four days. But its really hard to bet against Gardo right now. Could easily see Bucky cutting down the nets in Indy again this year. #inGardWItrust
- LOGOS: I realize this each year when I fill out this logo bracket but the logos in the Big 10 are kinda lame. 11 of the 14 logos are basically just a letter, or some variation of a letter. Outside of a Spartan, a Hawkeye, and a Nittany Lion I'm basically just looking at an alphabet up there. Its simple and classy I guess but I'd like to see a little more spice when I fill this out each year.